The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

A Blast from the Past is a weekly meme where I intend to review book that I read in the past that has had some form of impact upon me, whether it be good or bad.

The Time Traveller's Wife

This book is one of my absolute all-time favourites. I do try not to play favourites if I can help it, but something about this book really clicked with me. It is the story of Claire and Henry, soul mates from the very beginning. They do have problem though, and that is that Henry has a neurological condition that means that he can time travel at completely random points in tome, turning up in other years completely naked, having to find clothes and shelter and essentially wait until he travels back to the time that he comes from.

This makes it a really interesting story. The story is written chronologically from Claire's point of view, as Henry does not really live a chronological life in that the way that you and I do. Claire is visited by an older Henry all throughout her childhood until one day she meets him for the first time as a young man. He falls in love with her, she is already in love with him having grown up with the Henry from Henry's future. Then they attempt to commence a life together like any other couple, with the additional challenge created by Henry's condition.

I love this book because of the love story. You can really sense how much they love each other. Their life is so challenging compared to other people's, getting married and having children create very big barriers for them to overcome, but despite this they cling to each other through thick and thin.

I think there is a metaphor in this book - sometimes when you are in a couple you can still find yourself in a different place (metaphorically) to your loved one and with different priorities sometimes, but it is important to live in the moment and appreciate the time that you have with each other.

The story is compelling, the love story is heartfelt and then end leaves nothing to be desired. I have read this book so many times, and I never fail to cry each time.

I know that the movie has come out and a lot of people may have already seen it, but I very much recommend The Time Traveller's Wife to everyone.


Originally posted 31 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments