Cocaine Blues and Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood


Cocaine Blues
and Flying Too High are both part of the Phryne Fisher series, penned by Australian author Kerry Greenwood. They are fun, sassy and scintillating and I can't get enough of it.


Some time ago I reviewed what was at the time the last book in this series, Murder on a Midsummer Night, and I was even lucky enough to interview the author Kerry Greenwood (read the interview here). I recommend you read the interview, because she is a fascinating lady.

These books are sort of an Australian version of The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. Very Agatha Christie-esque but a lot more fun and tongue in cheek.

There is a not a lot more to say about the book other than what I have already said in my review of Murder on a Midsummer Night. The fabulous Phryne Fisher is a private investigator in Melbourne in the 1920's/1930's and boy is she flamboyant. These books are great for the mystery, the characters, the food and the outfits.

It was good to go back to the first two books in series and see how it was that Phryne came to be The Honourable Phryne Fisher, how she came to be an investigator and how it is she ended up in Melbourne.

It was also a good insight to see how she has collected her entourage of fabulous characters, such as taxi drivers Bert and Cec and personal assistant Dot. She has yet to collect some her other friends that I saw in the later book, but I can't wait to find out how she meets them.

All in all, fabulous books that I think almost everyone will enjoy.

Summary


What kind of read is this?
Quick, easy and fun.

Do I recommend this book?
Yes, I do, I really enjoyed it and I think that a lot of other people would too, whether you a crime/mystery reader or not.

Do I recommend that you buy this book?
Yes, I think that this will be a fun one to re-read every now and again.

Star Rating

7 / 8


Brilliant, couldn't put them down. Recommend that you buy them.

Have you read any of Kerry Greenwood's books? What do you think of them?


Originally posted 19 November 2010 Page Turners


No comments