The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen


I wanted to like The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, but it just didn't meet my expectations.


I had heard so many good things about this book that I was so disappointed by it when I finally got around to reading it.

Perhaps it is just that my expectations were too high to begin with, or maybe the story and the characters were just a little 'too American' for me (an Australian) to really identify with them.

The reality is it was just so boring. I was bored. There is no other way to say it.

About halfway through the book I suddenly thought to myself, "has anything actually happened yet?" I felt as though I was reading a book of back story rather than a book with any plot, and the characters just weren't interesting enough to keep me interested in their back stories alone. I needed story and I wasn't getting any.

So, I gave up. I didn't finish it, and that is a big step for me. It is only the second book this year I have failed to complete (the first being the longest novel ever written in English if that gives you some idea of how I try to finish every book I start).

Star Rating

1 / 8


Couldn't even finish it.

So, what have I missed? Has anyone read it and loved it? I would love to hear what you all think of this novel that has been heralded as a modern American classic.


Originally posted 19 October 2010 Page Turners

No comments