My favourite reads of 2010 and a big thank you to everyone!

2010 has been a fabulous reading year for me. 

I have read more books in one year than I have ever read before, and I have found some fabulous new authors that I can't wait to read more of. I have learnt a lot about my reading preferences and habits. Most of all, Page Turners has allowed me to really think about what I have been reading and learn more about literature than I ever knew before.

I just wanted to share my favourite reads of this year with you.

I know that many bloggers will be having the same 'favourite reads of 2010' posts, so I promise that I will keep mine short. 

To help you decide which reviews you might find most interesting, I have provided a little summary of what I liked about each book. 

My favourite reads of 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - this is by far the best book I read in 2010. It is a unique piece of historical fiction by an Australian author that is one of the most moving stories I have ever read. If there is one book that I think that everyone should read from my 2010 list, it's this one.

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver - I have never had such a strong emotionally physical response to a book in my entire life; in fact, I spent a solid 10 minutes crying hysterically on the lounge when I finished it.  This book is dark and deals with difficult themes, but it is well worth reading.

The Passage by Justin Cronin - I know this was the most hyped book of 2010, but I am telling you, it was well worth the hype. Every genre you can imagine is combined in this thriller that has you wrapped you around it's pinkie from beginning to end.

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood - I haven't reviewed this one yet, by Atwood has outdone herself again.

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - I haven't reviewed this one yet either, but it makes the list just for introducing me to the hilarious literary comic genius of Jasper Fforde in the Thursday Next series.

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver - Barbara Kingsolver has created another wonderfully colourful story in The Lacuna. It was the first book I read in 2010 and still is one of the best.

A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif - this makes the list for combining laugh out loud comedy with serious political messages. It sounds strange but I guarantee that it is worth reading.

By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolano - the best literary read of 2010. Bolano's literary talent is astounding.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - probably the scariest ghost story you will ever read.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy by Stieg Larsson - it may not be the best writing that you will ever read, but this trilogy was one of the most thrilling I read all year.

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
- one of the best science fiction books that I have ever read and reminded me that this is a greatly under rated genre that I think people should read more of.


I have a new job starting on the 17th of January that will mean that I will not be able to do as much reading next year as I was able to this year. I am pleased that I read so many great books this year and I can't wait for more to come.

Thanks for being such wonderful followers of Page Turners in 2010. I hope to see even more of you in 2011!


Originally posted 29 December 2010 page Turners

No comments