The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson


This is the final instalment in Stieg Larsson's thrilling Millennium series.


The book begins exactly where it left off in Played with Fire. Lisbeth is in hospital recuperating from her horrific ordeal and her life is still in danger. She faces many significant criminal charges, and her friends rally around her to help prove her innocent. In the course of these events, the usual characters uncover a government conspiracy intimately involving Lisbeth that has been in existence for many decades and which needs to be exposed.

I don't have anything original to say about this book. Many other reviewers have said it before, and most of what I have to say about this book I have already said in relation to its predecessors.

The size of this book was quite off putting; it was so large that at times I found it difficult to hold in my hands. It was also probably the worst of the three novels for providing excess details that hold no interest to the reader. On this point, I did read this absolutely hilarious article in the New Yorker on this common complaint about the Millennium series. It is a comic re-write of the book, and you absolutely must read it if you have read these books!

The sub-plot involving Erika was a strange addition to the book. Don't get me wrong, I was guessing the whole time who her stalker would be (and I guessed right, go me!), but I didn't really understand why it had been included. I assume it was included because she was no longer working at Millennium and Larsson wanted to keep her in the story, but then, why make her leave the paper in the first place? I was just confused by it.

Having said all that, I was still engaged by the story; it kept me hooked until the end. I was pleased to see that some of the issues and relationships were tied up at the end, but it was also clear that Larsson meant there to be more books to follow. Lisbeth Salander is one of the most interesting characters I have ever read, and I really enjoyed this originality.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. For me though, some of the 'wow-factor' had left by the third instalment of this series.

Summary

What kind of read is this?
A quick read given its size, and a thrilling one.

Do I recommend this book?
Yes, it was a good read, and I would definitely recommend that you finish the series off.

Do I recommend that you buy this book?
Yes. I have recommended that you buy its predecessors so it would be silly not to recommend that you buy this one. I think that the whole series will make a great re-read.


Star Rating

6.5 / 8

Really enjoyable, I couldn't put it down. I recommend it.




Originally posted 14 July 2010 Page Turners

No comments