10 books that define me



I have seen a few people doing this lately, and I felt like I wanted to give it a go. It was started by Simon at Stuck in a Book, and the aim is to list 10 books and sa
y how each book says something about you.



So here are my 10 books:

1. Freddie and The Enormouse by Hugh Scott
This book is a children's book about a young boy, recently orphaned, who moves to live with his cousin in a big castle in the country. Underneath the castle live giant mice, and Freddie and his cousin go on an adventure to prove the existence of the enormouse. I loved this book as a child and read it again and again and again. I think it reflects how active an imagination I had as a child, I could imagine the events unfolding as if they were happening to me, and I wanted to have an adventure like these children.

2. The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M Auel
This is the first time I ever remembering reading a series of books that I just had to read on. For whatever reason something about Ayla and Jondalar really got me. Although I think the series gets worse as it progresses, it is still the series that started my love of reading series.

3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
I think that I originally read and fell in love with the series because my father read it every year, and it was his favourite book. Now what I think it says about me is that I enjoy science fiction when it is written in such a way that it feels like a true history of events rather than fantasy.

4. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
I read this book as a school novel and fell in love, especially with the opening line. What this says about me is that I love a book with lots of description, and one that goes deep into a character until you know them.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I absolutely love this book, it's a classic. This is a good example of my love of classics and my love of romance.

6.
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
I chose this book because my love of Margaret Atwood began with The Blind Assassin. This was the first ever book I read of Atwood's, and I remember feeling incredibly challenged, yet not being able to put it down. This book for me epitomises what I love about Atwood.

7.
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
I love this series, just like most other people on earth. What I think this shows about me is my love of reading children's fiction - still! More than this though, I love a book that lets my imagination run rampant, and these books allowed me to do that!

8. A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
This book is absolutely amazing, and I hope to review it soon on Page Turners. This is a debut novel by an Australian author that was on the Man Booker Prize Short List in 2008. I love Australian fiction and I love to see an Australian authors, debut novel on the short list for such a prestigious award. This book is an absolute must read.

9. The Power of One by Bryce Courtney
This book says something about me because it is the first book I ever read of Bryce Courtney, and when I first realised how important it is to ensure that you read literature from your country of origin. I read it in high school, and at the time it was a massive achievement because of how long to book is, and how confronting the content is. It is also (as far as I can remember) the first book I ever cried in.

10. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
I am not sure that this necessarily says anything about me, but I want to include it because of the significant reaction I had to it. There are not many books that I have read that have affected my mood as much as this book did. I was in a very dark mood when I read this book, and that confused me. I am not sure why. But I did have to say that I can't think of another book that played with my emotions as well as this one did.


Originally posted 10 February 2010 Page Turners

No comments