UNSW Book Fair finds: April 2010


Yesterday I went to the University of New South Wales Book Fair. It was the last day of the Book Fair which meant that all the left over books were going cheap cheap cheap. They were selling the books by the box, that is, you paid either $10 or $5 for a box (depending on it's size) and you could fill it to the top! If you wanted to purchase additional books, but you didn't need a whole new box, all the books were half price.

As you can imagine I went a little bit crazy. Admittedly, the variety wasn't there on the last day, but there were still some gems. I purchased a $10 box and a $5 box. 

Then for my favourites. They also sold collectibles at the Book Fair. I purchased a 1928 edition of Robert Louis Stevenson's  An Island Voyage.  

And then my absolute favourite - a book from 1897 entitled Tips on Advocacy, written by a British QC (11th edition). I am a solicitor and so this was a particularly wonderful find for me. It is still in good condition considering it is around 113 years old (that could be wrong, my maths is terrible). I have a had a look through it, and it has tips on advocacy in jury trials, which is exactly the kind of work that I do. The tips are still relevant too. So Tips on Advocacy will be getting pride of place on the book shelf. 

I would love to know if anyone else has ever had a find like that a book sale? I don't mean something necessarily of financial value (I have no idea how much this book might be worth on resale) but something that is really special on a more personal level?


Originally posted 25 April 2010 Page Turners

No comments