The Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide


Book Details

Paperback
Pages: 380

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Published: 2008

Language: English

ISBN: 9780330424257



Book Review

I saw this book in the window of a local bookshop and the title grabbed my attention immediately – The Household Guide to Dying. I don't often buy new books (being a second-hand bookaholic) but with this one I couldn't help it.

The story is that of Delia Bennett; wife, mother, author and dying. She is dying of cancer. Delia has made a name for herself as an author of Household Guides, and so when it is confirmed that Delia is not going to survive her cancer, she develops the idea to write her final and ultimate Household guide - the Household's Guide to Dying. The story follows her quest to resolve outstanding issues in her life relating to her son to whom she gave birth when she was 17 years old, as well as researching for her new book. The research takes her some strange places; she observes autopsies, visits funeral parlours, makes blood sausages and chooses her own coffin.

What is really amazing about this book for me, is how real it is. It is exactly what I would imagine knowing that you are going to die would be like. I found her daughters reactions very touching; they are clearly upset that they are going to lose their mum, and yet they aren't quite capable of grasping it in the way an adult does. Their lives just continue as usual - they fight, play their instruments badly and generally bother their mother in the way that young children do. Her husband and mother are admirably restrained yet supportive of Delia through her journey toward death.

Delia is faced with the issues that we would all be worried about. Who is going to teach my children to cook? Who is going to be therefore them on their wedding day? How do I teach them about sex? How will my husband manage to get the kids to school without me? Who will feed the cats each morning? I love how as Delia's end approaches, she is engrossed with those small details of life, it is an eye-opening view into what the knowledge of death will do to a person.

This was a very special book. Although you know from the outset what the end will be, it is nonetheless touching. I cried a lot towards the end of the book, and I remember that feeling even as I write this review.

Summary

What kind of read is this?
This isn't a challenging read in the sense of its style of writing, it is fairly easy to read and doesn't take a long time to finish. Some of the thoughts it evokes though are challenging, but that is definitely one of the good things about this book.

Do I recommend it?

Yes, definitely. I actually think that it's a really good book for everyone to read. No one knows what the future holds, for us or any of our loved ones, and sometimes it's important to think about those hard things, like death, that we would prefer not. This book gives you the opportunity to do this, but with humour as well as seriousness.

Do I recommend that you buy it?

For as much as I recommend reading this one, borrowing it at the library would be sufficient.

Star Rating


7 / 8

Brilliant, couldn't put it down. Recommend that you buy it.

 



Originally posted 29 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments