Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Book Details

eBook
Project Gutenberg

Book Review


I can’t really remember what made me started reading Treasure Island. I vaguely remember just having a flick through the various eBook options on the application I use (Stanza) and seeing this one and deciding to read it.

The narrator, Jim Hawkins, is a young boy who lives in a Village Inn run by his parents. His life becomes adventuresome when an old Pirate, Billy Bones, comes to lodge with them. Through very odd circumstances, Billy Bones suffers a stroke after receiving the Black Spot, and Jim Hawkins and his mother come into possession of a treasure map and are hotly pursued by Pirates until the Pirates are scared off by the coming of some townspeople. Jim Hawkins gives the map to Squire Trelawney and Dr Livesy, and they all then plan a big trip to Treasure Island in search of the treasure.

A ship is bought and Trelawney hires Captain Smollett and Long John Silver as cook. Long John then hires the rest of the crew. Despite some early signs that should have led to suspicion, the ship sets sail for the Island. Unfortunately, Jim uncovers a plot to mutiny after the treasure is bought onto the ship.

The rest of the story details how the crew split into two and end up stranded on Treasure Island fighting for life and treasure.

I really wish that I had enjoyed Treasure Island more than I did. I think what put me off was mostly the language that was used. Sometimes it’s difficult to get through to the story when the language is so old fashioned and dense, and this was one of those books for me. The language took something away from the adventure from me. I spent too much time focusing on what I was reading, which prevented me from really getting into it.

Something I did find interesting was this idea of honesty and loyalty that was so prominent throughout the story. At one stage Jim Hawkins is held captive by the enemy pirates and he gives his word to Silver that he will not attempt to escape. Then, despite being given the perfect opportunity to escape, he does not because he has given his word not to. This type of loyalty is totally foreign to me – I find it difficult to comprehend why someone would not escape captivity other than because they promised their captor not to? What do you owe your captor? Why would your word mean more to you than the opportunity to take flight when faced with death? Something similar that puzzled me was this – why did Jim seem so set in keeping his word to Silver when he happily broke his word to his own friends by abandoning them in the first place?

There is more to Treasure Island that what I have discussed here, but I think that this is the kind of book that you have to read yourself to know what you will get out of it.



Summary

What kind of read is it?
A challenging read, but a shorter one than you might expect.

Do I recommend it?
Not really to be honest.

Do I recommend that you buy it?
No, just get it from the library or a friend, unless you are a collector of classics.


Star Rating

Alright, but I wouldn't recommend it.
4/8



Originally posted 22 March 2010 Page Turners

No comments