Q&A on reading habits

I saw this Q & A at A Literary Odyssey and thought it was pretty cool. Couldn't help but participate. I am not sure where it originated sorry, but it seems that it is doing the rounds at the moment! Join in if you want to.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:

Nope. I mainly read on the train on the way to and from work, so no eating for me. Even if I am reading at home, I'm not much of a snacker.

What is your favourite drink while reading?

Again, as a train reader, there is not a whole lot of drinking going on, but if I am reading at home, I will usually be reading with a nice big cup of black tea, Lady Grey is my favourite.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

I definitely don't write in them. It doesn't horrify me, but I definitely wouldn't do it. I have no problem with folded corners, but not writing.
 
How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

Definitely dog ears. I fold away. I do have a beautiful bookmark I got for Christmas last year from my sister-in-law, but I lose bookmarks like it's going out of fashion, so dog earing is safer for me. Plus, it gives the book that loved feel.

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?

Fiction. I very rarely read anything non-fiction, even biographies etc are rare for me to read.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I can stop anywhere and pick it up again without a problem. If I am reading before bed, I usually will promise myself that I will only read 1 chapter so that I can actually put it down and get some sleep. But other than that, I will read until I have to put it down, and I can stop anywhere and find that point again immediately.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

I would never throw a book. However, if I am totally irritated, I would throw it down on a table. If I am on the train, I would close it and put it on my lap in protest. It's rare though.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

No. I can usually figure it out depending on what's happening in the book. If not, I wouldn't look it up.

What are you currently reading?

I am reading Lilian's Story by Kate Grenville, an eminent Australian author. This is probably her most famous book and I am enjoying it so far.

What is the last book you bought?

That's really hard. I went to a book fair recently and bought two whole boxes of them. Some of the books in those boxes were Silk by Alessandro Baricco and Lilian's Story by Kate Grenville.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I sort of read one book at a time. I have the main book that I am reading. But I also have an eBook on my iPhone that I have going and read whenever I don't have my book with me. And I read a different book that I am very familiar with right before I go to sleep. If I read new books before I go to sleep, then I can't stop.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

Nope, whenever I can get the chance. I do like reading at the local cafe though with a coffee.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

I do enjoy series, but I suppose stand alones. It is hard to keep up with series sometimes.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

Yes. I am always recommending Isabel Allende, Margaret Atwood and Richard Flanagan. I am also always recommending The Time Travellers Wife, and many others.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)

I have absolutely no organisation system at all. At most, size order - what fits best on the shelves.
 
                                                   -----------------------------------------
 
Can't wait to see what other people have to say!


Originally posted 13 May 2010 Page Turners

No comments