The Secret River by Kate Grenville

I had long wanted to read a book by Kate Grenville. I had heard her speak at the Sydney Book Fair and also on various pod casts that I had downloaded and had always thought that she sounded so articulate and intelligent.

The book itself has won many awards and been shortlisted for others; Commonwealth Writers Prize 2006, NSW Premier's Literary Awards, Christina Stead Prize and Community Relations Award, Fellowship of Australian Writers' Christina Stead Award, Literary Fiction Book of the Year and Book of the Year, Australian Book Industry Awards 2006, shortlisted for the Miles Franklin Award 2006 and shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2006.

My friends had also recommended her books to me so when I finally had the opportunity to purchase The Secret River, I jumped at the chance.

From the back cover: "William Thornhill is sentenced in 1806 to be transported to New South Wales, for the term of his natural life. With his wife Sal and children in tow, he arrives in a harsh land that feels, at first, like a death sentence. But among the convicts there is a whisper, that freedom can be bought - an opportunity to start afresh." For William Thornhill, starting afresh means the purchasing of land along the Hawkesbury and fighting for it when the traditional and true owners of the land, assert their own ownership.

The feelings I had about this book encapsulate how I have been feeling about a few books recently. The story caught my attention and drew me into it to the point where I needed to keep reading, but somehow it still didn't quite meet up to my expectations. I have heard of The Secret River as becoming part of the Australian tradition of historical fiction, comparing it to books like The True History of the Kelly Gang and books by Thomas Keneally. With such high recommendations, great comparisons and so many awards, I was expecting something a little denser, with a little more analysis of the social circumstances at the time of the 'colonisation' of Sydney, and in turn greater analysis of the colonisation as it affected the Aboriginal population. I know this is a novel, not a non-fiction book, but having heard Kate Grenville speak in such an intelligent and analytical way on so many interesting issues, I think I just expected something with greater depth.

The story had such potential to be an epic novel, but it fell just short of short of that. When I think about it, this book would have been better as even a short tighter story or else a longer more epic story (but then again, who am I to give advice!).

This all sounds very negative, but please don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book.

First Nation Australians This book did tackle issues surrounding the 'colonisation' of Sydney from a different perspective from what I am used to. It explores the practical reality of the appropriation of Aboriginal land at the hands of the whites. This is really what the book is about, so I won't go into it too much because I don't want to spoil the story. I am glad that the book made me think about this from a more practical perspective than I have before, but I still think that it is in this aspect of the story that the book particularly fell down for me in some ways. It wasn't quite emotive or detailed enough to make me really feel what the characters would have been. I wanted to feel like I was there with them, but I couldn't.

Love and Family One of the things I did love was the relationship between William and Sal, and the growth of their family. It was so simple, not sappy like it could have been. They fell in love as children, married, were sent to Australia, raised a large and happy family and stayed true to each other through enormous hardship. Their love was real. Although the final events of the book had an impact upon their relationship it was done in such a realistic, true to life way I appreciated.

Sal and the longing for home I liked that no matter how hard their life had been, and no matter how difficult the challenges they faced making a life in Australia, Sal still pined for home, which was particularly palpable in the final scenes. Sal dealt with her circumstances with a determination and self possession that I only wish I had, and I think that her story is an important lesson in doing the best that you can with what you have.

William William is another issue altogether. I didn't feel for him in the way that I did for Sal, but I liked that despite everything he did, particularly in relation to the final events of the book, he was a good man trying to make the most of his situation for his family. His craving for land was undoubtedly selfish and some without regard for his wife's feelings, but I still believe that he thought he was doing the right thing for them. He reminded me of my legal clients in some ways. When forced into a situation from circumstances largely out of their control, people are often left with no choice but to turn to crime. It is an important message - good people can do bad things, but we all have to do the best we can and live with the consequences of our actions.

Summary

What kind of read is it?
It is an easy read, it's enjoyable and well written. Don't expect an epic tale though.

Do I recommend the book?
Despite some misgivings I still recommend reading it. It is by a wonderful Australian author and covers Aboriginal issues from a different perspective to what you would normally read.

Do I recommend that you buy it?
No. Borrow it from the library or a friend.


Star Rating

5 / 8
Good and worth reading if you have the opportunity, but there's no need to prioritise it.


Originally posted 17 March 2010 Page Turners

No comments