The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

Book Details

Hardcover
Library book
Pages: 626
Publisher: Alfred A Knopf Inc
Published: 1991 (First included in the Everyman's Library 1991)
Language: English
ISBN: 0 679 40562 3

Book Review

Wow, what a book. I decided to read this one after I realised that The Legacy by Kirsten Tranter (which I read for a book club) was based upon The Portrait of a Lady. I tried to finish it before I went to book club, but as you can see from the page count it was a very long book written in very small font and I just couldn't manage it. The disappointing thing was that because I hadn't finished reading the book before the book club the twist at the end was spoiled for me in discussion.

It is to story of Isabel Archer, a young American girl who visits her estranged family in England after her father passes away. She becomes close to her aunt, uncle and cousin, so close that her uncle leaves her a large sum of money upon his death. Determined that she will remain independent and see the world, Isabel turns down 2 marriage proposals to travel the world. Later, however, she finds herself drawn to Gilbert Osmond, an American living in Italy and Isabel's life begins to change.

Wen I first started reading this book I loved it. I loved the language. I love how the characters were created in such detail. You came to know their inner thoughts so clearly. Henry James places emphasis upon character development and I appreciated that... to a certain extent.

The problem is, by about two thirds of the way through the book, I had lost all interest. It just went on way too long. It was so wordy. That's what I loved about the book at the beginning, but what I hated about it by the end. I was literally skipping three pages at a time, skimming through the book and reading random pages. If I could tell where the story was up to, I would keep reading for a while until I felt the urge to skim again. If I skipped a few pages and seemed to have missed something, I would go back until I figured out what it was that I missed and then I would skip forward again. I feel terrible about it, but I didn't have a choice. I couldn't sit through all the description, all the observations and all the characters thoughts.

It was tragic in a way - I wanted something better for Isabel. The feminist in me thought 'way to go girl' but by the end it was all wiped out. The ending felt a bit Tess of the D'Urbervilles-ish in that way.

All in all, a really good book and I am glad I read it. I just wish it was that little bit shorter.

Summary

What kind of read is it?
A classic read, with wordy old-fashioned language. A challenging read because of the language and the length of the book.

Do I recommend that you read it?
It feels a bit wrong to say that you don't recommend a classic, but the truth it, I wouldn't recommend this to someone. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tell anyone not to read it, I just wouldn't recommend it as something that I think you should read.

Do I recommend that you buy it?
No. Borrowing it from the library is the way to go.


Start Rating

5 / 8

Good and worth reading if you have the opportunity, but there's is no need to prioritise it.


Originally posted by 7 April 2010 Page Turners

No comments