Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

I love all things Margaret Atwood and this wasn't an exception.

I purchased this last year at the Sydney Book Fair and it took me this long to get around to reading it. I finally read it as part of Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. 

I really enjoyed it, just like I enjoy everything by Margaret Atwood. However, I have to admit, it was very different to what I am used to from Atwood. That might be accounted for the fact that it is her second novel, and I am used to reading her more recent fiction and non-fiction.

The story is that of a woman (who's name is not revealed) who returns to her hometown in Canada with her boyfriend and another couple. She returns because her father has gone missing and she hopes to unravel some of the mystery surrounding some of the disappearance. 

Instead what happens is that slowly the relationships around her begin to unravel, and eventually she unravels as well.

I won't go into too much detail about how exactly she unravels. This is one of those books where it is a challenge to write a meaningful review without actually giving away the ending. Sometimes I think that it isn't possible to review a book properly without discussing the ending. However, I know people don't like the end being spoiled and so I won't. If, however, some of my discussion of the book doesn't make sense, that is why. 

I will say this, I was very confused by the ending. I didn't really see her personal crisis coming, and I didn't entirely understand it either. 

The main character was very confusing in many different ways. She seemed so aloof from life and from herself. She didn't seem to be able to process the world around her, and part of that seemed to be an inability to properly interact with others. It was like there was a barrier that prevented her from really accessing her feelings and thoughts, and a barrier that prevented her from accessing others around her. She is just so disengaged from herself and the world around her. Perhaps it is these barriers that account for the strange way in which she unravels at the end of the book? She reminded me a lot of the main character is Camus's The Outsider for anyone that has read that book. 

There were two other things that really struck me as I read the book. The first was the true beauty of the nature around the characters. The main characters family home is in the wilderness on an island in Quebec. There is an outdoor toilet and a wood stove. They fish and use vegetables from the vegetable garden as there is not a grocery store. No television or radio. The entertainment is self made. It reminded me that sometimes it;s nice to do something different and get back to nature. 

The second was just how strangely women were portrayed. I think that is accounted for by the change in time, but I was really struck me at time just how negative it was. I am not sure that I can even put my finger on what gave me this impression. It was the way in which the main character discussed her earlier marriage and particularly the way in which the married couple dealt with each other. 

Reading over this review you might think that I sound a bit confused. I am not confused, but this book is quite difficult to review. I account for this in the wonderful way in which is written. The prose as amazing, beautifully descriptive, and sets the scene with such clarity that you feel as if you are there watching the characters as the story unfolds. 


Summary

What kind of read is this?
It is a very short book, but don't be misled. It is a challenging read but challenging in a rewarding way. 

Do I recommend this book?
Yes, especially if you are an Atwood fan. 

Do I recommend that you buy this book?
I would recommend that you buy all Atwood books generally, but this is still not one of my favourites so I would say borrowing it from the library would be sufficient. 


Star Rating

6 / 8

Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it. 







Originally posted 29 April 2010 Page Turners

No comments