Author: Bryce Courtenay

Bryce Courtenay is possibly one of Australia's most popular Australian authors. I think the first Bryce Courtenay book I ever read was The Power of One (which I read in high school), and there is no doubting it - it is absolutely amazing. I think that I can honestly say that is the only book that I have never been able to re-read. I have re-read every book on my bookshelf at the very least once (except for my newer books obviously). I have tried to re-read The Power of One and just haven't been able to because it is so powerful and emotional that I have never felt up to tackling it again.

I quickly moved on to the sequel, Tandia, and from there just started reading the rest of his books. I remember at one stage when I was still in high school, I went to a book signing at the local shopping centre with Bryce Courtenay. I remember feeling quite star struck, and he said to me "Don't take shit from anybody". It has had a lasting impression on me.

I own many of his books:
  • The Power of One
  • Tandia
  • Jessica
  • Tommo and Hawk
  • Solomon's Song
  • White Thorn
  • The Potato Factory
  • The Persimmon Tree
I have also read April Fools Day, which is a special book Courtenay wrote about his son's battle with hemophilia and later AIDS as a result of a blood transfusion. It moved me to tears on several occasions.
What I like about his books are that the stories he writes are totally epic. You are completely drawn into the story until you can't get out.

I do have to be up front though and say that over the years my enthusiasm for his works have waned almost completely. I would not buy a book of his again. In fact, the last few books of his that have come into my possession were because they were gifts. My problem is this - he releases at Christmas time each year almost without fail.

Whilst when I first started reading his books it felt as though he was writing for the love of writing, now it feels as though he is writing for the love of money. Perhaps I am just being a bit too cynical - but what perfect timing - releasing a book each Christmas like clockwork which he knows will sell well because of his popularity. It is this element of Bryce Courtenay that has completely turned me off him.
Having said, I would encourage people to read some of his works, particularly The Power of One and April Fools Day. Both of these remain special works despite my opinion of the author.

Bryce Courtenay has led an amazing life, including being banned from his native country of South Africa for starting a school for Africans. His life is worth reading about. You can read about him here at his website.




Originally posted 23 February 2010 Page Turners

No comments