New Moon by Stephanie Meyer


Book Details

Paperback
Pages: 497
Publisher: Atom
Published: 2007
Language: English
ISBN: 978-1-904233-88-6

Book Review

I finally got around to reading the second in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. It was actually an impulse purchase at the Gold Coast airport as I was waiting to come back from my holiday a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit to not enjoying it as much as I did the first book. It took me quite a while to get into it, but once I got into the second half, I did get a lot more involved in the story (people did warn me this would happen). I suppose all of the books in the series will be similar; a big long build up where nothing much happens, leading to the climax with a bit of action.

I don't know, I thought that I would really enjoy this series after reading the first book but now I am not convinced. All everyone seems to do in this book (particularly Bella and Edward) is talk about how much in love they are and the many problems not being of the same species creates for them. I am finding it a bit monotonous - don't they have anything else to talk about? And the teen angst - I'm finding it a little frustrating.

My only other difficulty is the writing, I just don't think it's very good. I know, I know, who am I to judge? I couldn't write myself out of a paper bag if I needed to. Maybe it's just that in my mind I am comparing it to the Harry Potter series, which far outstrips the Twilight series in story and the quality of the writing (in my humble opinion). Perhaps it's just that the book is written for teenagers, and I am used to reading for an older age group. There's just something about the writing that doesn't seem good to me.

Reading over this review you would think that I didn't enjoy the book! Please don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy the book. I finished it within 1 day and I definitely want to finish the series. The good thing about the book is that whatever problems you have with it, and however slowly it seems to move, it is a page turner; it sucks you in and you need to finish reading it. I do like the relationship between Edward and Bella, I love the sexual tension. I also enjoyed getting to know Jacob Black more in this series.

The book had me laughing out loud - especially at the part where Edward proposes to Bella. That was hilarious. She is dying (pardon the pun) for Edward to turn her into a vampire so that they can be together for all eternity - but woah, hold your horses - marriage?! She's too young for that sort of commitment. I couldn't stop laughing as I read this bit.

So, all in all, I had mixed reactions to this book as you can, but I will definitely still continue with the series.

Summary


What kind of read is this?
Quick easy, young adult, paranormal.

Do I recommend it?
 
Yes, for as much as I have problems with it, it is still a good read.

Do I recommend that you buy it? 

I do recommend buying it if you have the rest of the series. I don't know about you, but I am someone that particularly likes to own a series if I have actually read it.

Star Rating

This is tricky to rate. Although technically I don't have a system for rating half stars, I am going with 5.5 stars.



Originally posted 24 February 2010 Page Turners

No comments