How important is the book cover?

I was thinking about I choose books, and it occurred to me that if I don't already know the title of the book, then I am most likely to pick up a book because I like the look of its cover. Then it occurred to me that when I read people's book reviews, I often have a look at the cover art and see what I think of that.

What is it about the cover? I know they say you shouldn't choose a book by its cover - but how can you not? There has to be something that makes you pick up that one book over all the others on the bookcases. If you haven't heard of the book before, it might be the title that grabs your attention or the cover... to me the cover is important.

Some of my books I really love the covers of - I have to admit to loving the covers of the Harry Potter series. I also love the cover of The Princess Bride by William Goldman. I think that if you are really attracted to the cover, then that can make you even more attached to the book.

What do you think? How important is the cover to you, especially when you are choosing a book?


Originally posted 25 February 2010 Page Turners

No comments