Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling


I have to admit to loving this sort of book. More specifically, I love a good series I can get into and keep reading till the end. Harry Potter has been a great series and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has been my favourite of the lot. The series itself isn't a new story really. It’s friends on a quest to save the world, by overcoming evil. There's the main character Harry, his arch nemesis Voldemort, and the various other side kicks and other characters that go along for the ride.

What I loved about the Deathly Hallows compared to the other books was how much faster paced it was and how much more sinister. This made it even more exciting than the others. The complexity of the entire story became so much clearer with the final book. JK Rowling did a good job of including all the characters we've met throughout the series and giving them all some role to play in the final instalment of Harry Potter. I was surprised by the introduction of the deathly hallows themselves into the story, sometimes it seemed a little distracting from the main story, but then I think this was the point - Harry was distracted by the Hallows from his task of destroying the Horcrux's.

We know that Harry was always going to triumph, but I was sad to see some of my favourite characters die along the way (don't worry, I won't say who). I particularly liked the pause before the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. I was glad that JK Rowling gave Harry the opportunity to reflect on his life and Voldemort's and Dumbledore's before he killed Voldemort. Im not necessarily convinced by the location this took place in - a random train station? It might have been nice for Harry to have this opportunity in a more familiar or meaningful place perhaps. However, the final confrontation with Voldemort itself was more meaningful and convincing because Harry had had his chance to know his story before he bought a significant part of it to an end.

The only part of the book I didn't really enjoy was the Epilogue. It felt very forced, and the characters weren't really recognisable as themselves. It just felt as though it had been written in a hurry, and the name's Harry had given his children were so corny I could barely stand it. I don't blame JK Rowling for trying to keep her options open with a follow up series, and I do feel like the Epilogue gave the story a satisfying ending overall, I just don't think it was thought through as well as it could have been.

I think overall, JK Rowling did a skilled job in dealing with Harry's growth from child to late teenager. The book for me where his increasing age was most apparent was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Harry, Ron and Hermione were clearly older in the Deathly Hallows, but I think at times JK Rowling was trying to make them seem a bit older than they actually were. Ron and Hermione changed in some respects over time as well, but I think that they are relatively one dimensional characters - Ron as the comic sidekick and Hermione as the brains. Mind you, I'm glad they finally got together; the sexual tension was killing me!

What I love most about the Harry Potter series is how it appeals to children and adults alike. It allows adults and children to enter into an imagined world and participate in the lives of the characters contained therein. I imagine it's difficult to write a book that appeals to all age groups and Harry Potter did this perfectly. 



Star Rating
8 / 8

One of the best books I have ever read. Everyone should read it - it is totally amazing. I am in love.



Originally posted 22 June 2009 Page Turners

No comments