The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham

Book Details
Ebook: Project Gutenberg
Published: First published in 1908
Publisher: Methuen

Book Review
The Wind in the Willows is definitely a classic, and (perhaps my mother can correct me if I am wrong) I don't think that I had ever read it before now. I recall as a child possibly seeing it on the television, or as a play, but if I had ever read or been read this book prior to recently then it has escaped my memory.

The story itself is a tale of the friendship and adventures of Mole, Ratty, Badger and Toad, all of whom are wonderfully real characters living their lives by the riverbank. The story begins when Mole decides to give his spring cleaning a rest and head into the outside world. He makes his way to the riverbank, having never seen one before, and befriends Ratty the water rat. Mole becomes enamoured with the river and the unlikely friendship between Mole and Ratty sees the two move in together into Ratty's hole in the riverbank. Ratty introduces Mole to his friend Toad, who's new craze for motor cars creates a lot of trouble for him and his friends. Toad involves Ratty and Mole in his troubles when he convinces them to join him on an adventure to see the world. Mole also becomes curous about Badger, whom he hears a lot of but never sees. One day he goes on a journey into the Wild Woods in search of Badger, but finds himself lost and under seige from other creatures in the wood. He is eventually saved by Ratty and together they spend an evening in Badger's comfy home, the three becoming fast friends. All these friends then join forces again when they find themselves mixed up again in Toad's trouble, culminating in a battle to take control of Toad Hall from the stoats and weasels.

The books is a children's tale, written from the perspective of an onlooker on the varied and fun adventures of a group of close friends. Some of their adventures are connected to others, and others stand alone as notable incidents in their lives. In short, the title hints at what the story is - a recounting of the adventures these 4 friends have as events occur that effect the course of their lives, just like willows being blown around at the whim of the wind.

The comraderie between these animals, particularly Ratty and Mole, is very special. These animals respect each other, and they respect the worl around them. Despite at times their friendships being stretched by difficult times they support each other through thick and thin and are always willing to lend a hand. Not only do they respect each other, but they respect nature aswell. There is no doubt that these are important lessons for people to learn at a young age.

I have to admit to feeling a bit confused about the purpose behind the story of Mole and Ratty's fateful meeting with what I understand is supposed to be the god Pan. There other adventures are so 'real'. Perhaps it is to emphasise their special connection with the natural world around them, an important lesson for people in the 21st Century to learn.

I think I indentified with Mole and Toad the most. Mole is such a lovely character, so curious and full of enthusiasm for life, always looking for something new to try and some adventure to have. What I identify with in Toad's character is his pre-disposition to obsess over things, and this obsession getting totally out of control. I see in myself sometimes a similar pre-disposition to become very single-minded about a new excitement and perhaps carry it a bit too far. Whilst it gets Toad into trouble (and me sometimes) I still think its a good quality to have, enthusiasm at its highest.

Summary

What kind of read is it?
It is a quick and easy read.

Do I recommend it?
All in all, this is a wonderful children's tale that is also special for adults to read. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Do I recommend buying it?
Yes, although it is a children's tale, I think it would be a lovely edition to the bookshelf, particularly if you have children or are planning on doing so.



Star Rating

6 / 8

Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it.




Originally posted 4 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments