Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery


I continued reading the Anne of Green Gables series after re-reading Anne of Green Gables and enjoying it so much.

Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island are the next two books in the story, and I enjoyed them immensely. LM Montgomery has created a wonderful little world full of bright and interesting characters that you can't help but love.

Some lovely new characters are introduced in each novel, Miss Lavender and Paul Irving in Anne of Avonlea and Phillipa in Anne of the Island are my favourites. The books see Anne teaching at the local school in Avonlea and later leaving home to attend college for 4 years, where her romantic ideals are put the test with a series of wedding proposals that are not what she expects.

I think if I were to be honest with myself, I still enjoy Anne of Green Gables most of the series. That first book is where you really have the opportunity to get to know Anne as a child, which I think is when she is at her most interesting. It also felt like it had a longer story line running through the entire novel, whereas these two novels felt more like a collection of events that occur in Anne's life, without any particular consistent storyline. That's just me. I can easily see though that some people might find the same thing about the first book of the series as well.

In any event, I loved these books and I felt so genuinely happy when Anne finally realises that Gilbert is her one true love and they are finally engaged, so romantic! It almost makes me happy that Anne's fairytale expectations of romance and love are turned on their head when she realises that it is her (almost) lifelong friend whom she loves. It's good for Anne to realise that life isn't always the fairytale she thinks it should be.

I'm going to continue reading the series. Unfortunately, the next book of the series, Anne of Windy Poplars, isn't available on e-book, and so I will probably skip it and go straight onto Anne's House of Dreams.

I am getting a lot of enjoyment from re-reading books I read a child. Why are books you read as a child still so magical upon re-reading?
 
Star Rating
 
5 / 8
 
 
Good and worth reading if you have the opportunity, but there's no need to prioritise it.

Originally posted 21 October 2009 Page Turners

No comments