The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit

Book Details

eBook (Project Gutenberg)


Book Review

I decided to read
The Railway Children after coming across it as I flicked through Project Gutenberg's library. As a child I watched the movie, and it was well and truly one of my favourites. Unfortunately, the copy that we had had been taped from the tele, and so the end of the movie hadn't been recorded so I never knew how the movie ended. Having read the book now I can say that I am very happy with the ending.

This is the story of Roberta (Bobbie), Phyllis and Peter, 3 ordinary children living an ordinary middle/upper class life, until one day their father inexplicably disappears, and their mother moves with them to Three Chimneys, a small cottage in the countryside by the railway. While their mother spends her time writing stories for money, the children spend their time having adventures. They prevent a big train accident following a landslide, they take a famous Russian home for their mother to take care of and eventually assist to locate his family, they organise birthday presents for their friends from the station, and they rescue an injured boy, amongst other things.


They also make friends with an old gentleman on one of the trains that they regularly wave to. This old gentleman becomes a very important character in the story, assisting them in many special ways, including in relation to the mysterious (to the children) disappearance of their father.


I loved many things about this story. I loved that although their adventures seemed to stand alone, most of them were interconnected in ways that became clear toward the end of the book. I loved the mother in the story, she was so understanding and supportive, I really liked that she let the children have their own fun and make their own mistakes, but supported them, nonetheless. I hope to be a mother like her one day. I loved how the children loved their mother. They were able to go from living a life with servants to doing the housework themselves and doing anything to shield their mother from being upset. They did everything without complaint (for children) and they did it for their mother. I also loved how the children got on with things despite the giant upheaval in their lives. I think that it is so like children to be so resilient and to move on with their daily lives despite the gaping hole of their father.

My only less positive comment is that it all perhaps tied together a little too nicely and a little too predictably. But it is a children's story so I don't think that I could expect anything else.


Summary

What kind of read is this?
Quick and easy, a children's story.

Do I recommend it?

Yes, particularly if you are a fan of the movie.

Do I recommend that you buy it?

Not unless you have children you think will really like it. eBook or the library would be fine.

Star Rating

6 / 8

Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it.



Originally posted 26 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments