The Haunted House by Charles Dickens

The purpose of Wonderfully Short Wednesdays is to review short stories; it is as simple as that. Short stories are a very special medium of storytelling that I don't read enough of, and I hope that this encourages me and others to read more of them.

The Haunted House by Charles Dickens

I seriously missed something with this one. I have to admit from the outset that I am not a big Dickens fan or reader (insert collective intake of breath here), but even without that barrier, this story was just too weird for me.

It started off with such potential. The narrator comes to the country side with his sister and household staff and moved into a house which is rumoured to be haunted; bells ring on their own, there are strange sounds that can be heard and a mysterious hooded woman with an owl is rumoured to be seen. Despite scaring off two individuals he suspects of creating some of the disturbances themselves, the 'hauntings' continue. His sister comes up with an unusual idea - they fire the household staff and bring in a group of friends to live in the house with them. They are all to observe any strange 'hauntings' that occur during the 12 days, but they are not to share their experiences with anyone until the 12 days are up.

The narrator receives a visit from a ghost and things just get weird from thereon in. The story completely lost me at that point. The book description states "The Haunted House examines quintessentially Victorian theories - sex and longing, nostalgia and loss - in ways that continue to resonate today".

Really? What did I miss? Why don't I get it? It was all just weirdness to me! Can anyone help me with this?

For my very first Short Story Saturday, I know that this is perhaps a weird way to start, but I am genuinely puzzled by my seeming inability to understand this short story. Don't worry, next week I will reviewing Rumpelstiltskin and leaving this behind me.


Originally posted 27 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments