Book quote by Edward P Morgan

I found this great quote this morning that I really like and wanted to share with everyone:
A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. ~Edward P. Morgan
I especially like the last line. I think that this is one of the things that I really love about reading, the fact that all at once your mind can be so active, you can be so consumed with what is going on inside your head and you can feel like so much is going on and yet it is a totally private and internal kind of activity, something that only you alone are experiencing. 

I think that is a wonderful and special feeling and I think that Morgan has said it nicely.

(Worth noting of course that he left women out of it, but that's for another day)

What do you think? Does reading do this for you?


Originally posted 23 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments