Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery


I forgot how sweet this book is. This book reminds me of childhood. It's hard not think about the movie when you read the book, but reading the book is very worthwhile. Anne Shirley is an orphan girl taken in by a brother and sister who run their family far. She's a special girl with an overactive imagination which causes her all sorts of problems, but more importantly it causes her all sorts of fun and happiness. 

For Anne, the 'waiting' for something fun is just as good as the something itself. The writing is very descriptive. I remember wishing I was Anne Shirley when I was a child and I'm sure I had a crush on Gilbert Blythe. It such a beautiful story of childhood, or at least the part of Anne's childhood we see.

It shows how a person, if they have the right disposition, can remain positive no matter what happens to them. Its worth reading this, if only to relive fun childhood memories of Anne of Green Gables and of the imaginary games you used to play as a child. 

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for the imagination then, would there?"

-Anne to Matthew during the ride from the train station to Green Gables


Star Rating

6 / 8

Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it. 





Originally posted 23 July 2009 Page Turners

No comments