Wicked By Gregory Maguire

Wicked – where to start? What I expected and what I got are completely different. When I started reading Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, I thought I was starting a light-hearted comedy type book. Instead, what I got was a dark, sinister and almost depressing black comedy about the Wicked Witch of the West. 

Even writing about the book now, having read it earlier this year, I am still very confused by this book. By that I don’t mean that I am confused about the plot or the occurrences, I’m confused about my reaction to the book. I was totally depressed by this book. Not only whilst I was reading it, but between reads. 

Obviously feeling depressed is not a good feeling, but at the same time I appreciate this feeling because it’s not very often that you read a book that has so deep an effect upon you. I’m not sure I could say that I have such a strong reaction of any kind to any other book I’ve read. 

There’s a lot I could talk about this book, but I really only want to talk about the politics contained in the story, and the theme of evil and what evil really is. Politics and the concept of evil are closely entwined in this story.

I have to admit that I’ve been having a lot of trouble writing this review, partly because of my reaction to the book and partly because of its complexities. I say this because I’m sure that whatever I write will not do justice to the book.

A brief plot summary is probably necessary; I’ll try not to spoil it too much. The book is about Elphaba (who comes Wicked Witch of the West and her childhood growing up the eldest daughter (and only green child) of a fundamentalist preacher. She has a sister Nessarose who is born without arms (who becomes the Wicked Witch of the East and a fundamentalist religious political leader). The story follows Elphaba through her years at the University of Shiz where she forms an unlikely and somewhat reluctant friendship with Galinda (who becomes the Wicked Witch of the North and Glinda). As a result of university experiences and a changing Oz, Elphaba becomes a leftist activist, revolutionary or freedom fighter and takes part in an underground campaign to destabilise/overthrow the evil despot, the Wizard of Oz, who rules Oz with an iron fist. Elphaba finds true love, loses it and is eventually destroyed by Dorothy.

Politics and religions of Oz are complicated. Oz has 4 states, North South East and West. The Wizard of Oz is a despot who tries to isolate the lower forms of society (Animals). He used Gale Force Troopers to quell uprisings and violence is the standard response of his regime. The religions of Oz are also complicated, there are the followers of the Un-named God, the Pleasure Seekers, the followers of the Time Dragon and so on. The Wizard of Oz is evil and all powerful. In the book he is a distant figure, to me he felt a bit removed from all the action.

I think the main theme of the book is that of evil - What is evil? Who makes a person evil? Maguire seems to suggest that evil isn’t a black and white concept, certainly in the book it’s not as simple as Dorothy = good and Elphaba =evil. The characters are all complex.

I think that perhaps Maguire is also trying to suggest that some people do bad things, but are not necessarily bad people. Elphaba wants to harm Dorothy for taking her sister’s shoes. Yet Elphaba wants those shoes so badly because in some respects they represent her desire to be closer to her father and a longing for the relationship Nessarose had with their father that Elphaba did not. Elphaba’s actions in her attempt to claim this family heirloom which Dorothy has acquired, can be viewed as evil or immoral, but her intentions are entirely understandable and human.


What makes a person evil? Is it intent or action that makes a person evil? Elphaba wouldn’t consider her own actions evil and Dorothy wouldn’t consider her own actions as evil – normal human desires are behind the actions of each.


Was Elphaba evil or was she forced to act in an evil manner because she believed Dorothy was coming to kill her? On the other hand, is it dangerous to suggest that because her intent wasn’t evil she’s not evil? I doubt that Hitler thought was he was doing wrong.

Its seems sometimes that its not about who the characters are that makes then evil or good, it’s how others see them. Maybe Maguire is trying to suggest that evil and good are matters of perspective? For example, Elphaba becomes the Wicked Witch of the West but who is she? From the viewpoint of modern society she is a revolutionary fighting for social equality, something some people would idealise and applaud, and others deplore. Certainly in “Wicked” she is a wicked witch, although perhaps more so for her later behaviours.

But then, is it important that Elphaba doesn’t start as the Wicked Witch of the West – she becomes her? “That’s why I call myself a witch now: The Wicked Witch of the West if you want the full glory of it. As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention”. Does Elphaba choose to become evil and what significance does this have?

I know that a lot of this is questions rather than answers – but it’s a very confusing book that although I said is very black, I also recommend you read it.



Star Rating

6.5 / 8

Couldn't put it down. Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it. 



Originally posted 24 June 2009 Page Turners

No comments