The Great Australian Author Challenge: 2010


Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere.
~ Hazel Rochman

You may have noticed that in various posts I have talked about my goal of reading more Australian literature, both as a general rule and this year in particular. Then I thought, why should I have all the fun?

And so I am pleased to announce that I have decided to host my first ever challenge - The Aussie Author Challenge.

I hope that people choose to join in, I am very excited about it and I think that it would be great if others joined in with me in supporting Australian authors and literature. Here are the details of the challenge:


The goal:
To read books by Australian authors.

Time frame:
Whenever you chose to join the challenge until 31 December 2010.

The levels:
Ankle biter: 4 books
Grouse: 8 books
Bloody Oath!: 12 books

The rules:
The books must be by an Australian author;
The books must be fiction;
They can be classics or modern fiction;
Have fun!

If you decide to join it, just mention it on your blog with a post back to here so that others can see it and join in if they want to!

At the end of year I will make sure that everyone who participates gets a link back to their challenge outcome so that we can see how we all went and hopefully be introduced into some new books for the next year. I hope everyone enjoys the Aussie Authors Challenge!

Suggested reading

The Australian Book Review has just released its "Top Ten Favourite Australian Novels" list. Just click here to view the books.
Here is the Australian Book Review's website.
Here is the Australian Book Reviews blog.
For a list of some Australian Authors, please click here.

Books read:

An Iron Rose by Peter Temple
Boat, The by Nam Le
Book Thief, The by Markus Zusak
Capricornia by Xavier Herbert
Legacy, The by Kristin Tranter
Lilian's Story by Kate Grenville
Moral Hazard by Kate Jennings
Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Secret River, The by Kate Grenville
Spare Room, The by Helen Garner
Timeless Land, The by Eleanor Dark
Transit of Venus, The by Shirley Hazzard
COMPLETED 3 JULY 2010
Murder on a Midsummer Night by Kerry Greenwood



Originally posted 24 January 2010 Page Turners

No comments