The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

A Blast from the Past is a meme for people to review a book that they read before they started blogging. It doesn't have to be a favourite; it might be that you didn't enjoy it. It is about sharing a book from your past with others.

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

My sister-in-law gave this to me for Christmas 2008. I had heard of the Shifting Fog by Kate Morton and always wanted to read it, so I was very excited to have one of her books to read. It was a very easy read, nothing challenging, but also one that kept you interested to the end.

It is the story that traces a mysterious family history spanning three generations. Cassandra's grandmother Nell passes away, leaving her an old English cottage. She visits the cottage and, in the process, begins to unravel the family secret, learned by her grandmother on her 21st birthday and going back even further to the mysterious Eliza Makepeace.

It was intriguing watching this family history slowly unravel. The characters are very real and as I read I wanted desperately to see them all happy.

My only complaint is that it was a bit predictable. I use 'mystery' loosely. Before the end I had already figured it out. Morton tried to give it a twist, she tries to set it up so that you think one thing, but then the truth is revealed. The problem is, I saw the truth first.

Other than that, a very enjoyable book I very much recommend.



Originally posted 14 March 2010 Page Turners

No comments