Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, but I find that a book is included in Oprah's Book Club it is usually worth reading. So, it was Oprah's recommendation that lead me to this book. I wasn't disappointed.

Drowning Ruth is the story of Amanda and Mathilda, two very different sisters. Whilst Mathilda, the youngest, marries young and begins a family (her child being Ruth), Amanda becomes a nurse and works in a hospital during the war. Amanda's heart is broken by the man she is seeing, and she eventually is asked to leave the hospital as she slowly falls apart. So, she returns to the farm to Mathilda and Ruth, where eventually her secret becomes known, and events begin to unfold out of Amanda's control.

I don't want to describe the plot of this book too much. I believe that the author intends us to never be quite sure what is coming next, so I will leave it to you to figure it out. I have to admit, I found the plot very predictable. I don't think that there was a single twist in the story that I didn't see coming. That's not to say I didn't enjoy reading the book, I did. I couldn't put it down. It was a wonderful read. You came to know the characters, especially Amanda and Ruth, even if you didn't really like them.

It had some interesting thoughts in it about family and the lengths people will go for family and love. At the time, it doesn't deny the inherent selfishness in human nature, and I think it was interesting how this human selfishness played out in the context of wanting to do the best for those that you love.

An Oprah's Book Club recommendation has never let me down, and this isn't an exception.

Star Rating

6 / 8


Really enjoyable and well written. I would recommend it.


Originally posted 1 December 2009 Page Turners

No comments