Dracula by Bram Stoker


Dracula by Bram Stoker is a very original and creepy classic that I think everyone should read at some point in their reading lives.

The story begins with one of the main characters Jonathan Harker, a new lawyer, making his way to Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania to complete some legal business his form has with Count Dracula. The villagers he meet all warn him against his plan, however he puts this down to traditional superstition at most, and dismisses their warnings. Once at the castle, Jonathan Harker becomes more and more suspicious of Count Dracula's behaviour, until eventually his suspicions are proved to be true and he finds himself a prisoner in the castle.

I can't recreate the thoroughly evil atmosphere that Stokercreates, nor would I want to. I hope that you will experience it for yourself. Suffice to say that what happens on the castle is the scariest part of the book and I almost wondered whether I would be able to finish reading it. Fortunately I did finish reading it and I was rewarded. The story moves between different countries and cities and the entire time I was riveted.

The book is written from many different characters perspectives by way of diary entries, journal entries, letters and newspaper clippings. This was apparently a very new and different way of writing a novel in 1897. I was nervous when I first started reading it that this method of story telling would act as a barrier between me and the story but it worked well, ensuring the suspense is intense throughout the entire book. The story does become less and less creepy as it progresses. Don't get me wrong, there are some evil images Bram Stoker creates all the way through, but it is never quite as creepy as it is at first in Count Dracula's castle.

 I couldn't put Dracula down, despite there being points in time when I really wanted to put it down. This is easily the creepiest book I have ever read. I remember watching parts of Nosferatu when I was a child and being really terrified. Now, having read Dracula by Bram Stoker I would like to watch again as an adult.


All in all, I think that if you are in for a very different read and you're not afraid of a bit of blood, I think you should give this classic a go.

Star Rating

6.5 / 8


Brilliant, couldn't put it down.
Originally posted 21 August 2009 Page Turners

No comments