Kindling by Darren Groth

There isn’t really anything to say about Kindling that I haven’t already said in my review of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (“TCIDNT”).

Kindling was an enjoyable and quick read. It kept me interested in the plot and it provided me with an insight into the life of a child with Autism.

Unfortunately, though, there was nothing new or unique in it for me. Having already read TCIDNT, I had seen all those things in a book before. The unusual font style was even common to both books.

I am not in any way suggesting that Groth copied TCIDNT or anything like that. I have no idea when either author wrote their book, which I accept could have been at an entirely different time to the time at which it was published.

It’s just that I feel like I had read the story before. Yes, the setting had changed, and the plot was different, but the content was the same. The same difficulties in interpreting the world experienced by the autistic child. The same difficulties faced by the parent of the child. In both books the parent of the child was a single father who was also coping with being single. The same issues related to the schooling of autistic children.

I enjoyed it, I just can’t get enthusiastic about it.



5 / 8 
Good and worth reading if you have the opportunity, but there's no need to prioritise it.



I would be very interested to know what you thought of this book if you have read it, especially if you have read TCIDNT as well.



Originally posted 11 April 2011 Page Turners

No comments