Deception Point by Dan Brown


There's not much to say about Dan Brown's Deception Point.

I love a bit of Dan Brown for light reading. His books are easy to breeze through and don't take a whole lot of concentration to finish but they are still exciting enough to grab your attention.

I had read Deception Point before, but I picked it up this time for a bit of relief from Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (I think that will be the disappointment of 2011). It was relief… of a sort.

Deception Point is largely based in northern most areas of the world and is centred around a "scientific discovery" of magnificent proportions. Of course, not everything is what it seems, and the cast of main protagonists have quite a task to get to the truth.

It was as predictable as they all are once you get used to Brown's formula. The mastermind is of course who the mastermind always is – an older male (usually white, because old white men rule the world - sorry, it's true) in a position of authority, who plays a main role in the story and is a sort of father figure to the main character. Same old same old.

My biggest complaint with this one was that it jumped between all the characters too quickly. Every few paragraphs I felt like one character stopped and another started – it went backwards and forwards so much it made me dizzy.

Having said all of that, it was enjoyable in a mind-numbing way, and it served its purpose of providing me with entertainment (which I'm sorry but Wide Sargasso Sea certainly wasn't providing me with) admirably.



6 / 8
Enjoyable. I recommend it if you approach it with the right attitude. Perfect for a bit of escapism.


Do you enjoy Dan Brown's books? What do you like/not like about them?



Originally Posted 6 March 2011 Page Turners

No comments