If you like Agatha Christie, you will also like...

I have found so many great books and authors through the recommendations of other people, and often that recommendation comes in response to something I say that I have already enjoyed.

For example, "Oh, if you like Peter Carey, you might also like Richard Flannagan" or "If you enjoyed reading The Lord of the Rings, you should try the Dune series by Frank Herbert."

So, in honour of the role that Agatha Christie plays in mystery/crime fiction, I thought it might be nice if we shared some new recommendations for people who are Christie fans. 

Just start your comment with "If you like Agatha Christie you might also like…" and then share your recommendation with everyone.

I'll start.

If you like Agatha Christie, you might also like… Kerry Greenwood. Kerry Greenwood is an Australian author who is famous for her Phryne Fisher and Corinna Chapman series.


Image from the Phryne Fisher website

The only series that I am familiar with is the Phryne Fisher series, which is set in Melbourne, Australia in the 1920's and stars one of the most fabulous protagonists I have ever encountered – The Honourable Miss Phryne Fisher.

Phryne Fisher has a talent for solving mysteries, which she puts to good use as a private detective. Sometimes Phryne finds herself in the midst of a mystery, and at other times she is hired to solve a crime or mystery. No matter which it is, she does so with bravery, style, panache - and some great food and alcohol along the way.

With a cast of lovable sidekicks to help her on her way, these are some of the most exciting crime/mystery novels I have ever read.

I have had the pleasure of interviewing Kerry Greenwood and have also reviewed the following books Murder on a Midsummer Night, Cocaine Blues, Flying Too High and Death Before Wicket (a funny take on Australia's obsession with cricket).

If you would like to know more about these books, click here to be taken to the website.

So, what about you – what do you recommend to everyone? It might be another author or a particular book, whatever takes your fancy. I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS

Given how popular this post seems to be, I thought I would add some further suggestions of my own. If you have more suggestions than the ones I have made, or the ones in the comments, please feel free to add a suggestion of your own.

Bob Burke (The Third Pig Detective Agency series)
Jasper Fforde (Jack Spratt series)
Shamini Flint (Inspector Singh series)
Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher series)
Tarquin Hall (Vish Puri series)
Alexander McCall Smith (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series)




Originally posted 3 February 2011 Page Turners

No comments