Hell Island by Matthew Reilly



I had never anything by Matthew Reilly before and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from it. Thank goodness for that because there definitely wasn't much to Hell Island.

Teams of elite forces sent unknowingly to their doom on an unmapped island. An army of giant apes controlled by microchips in their brains, sent to kill everything in their path.

What can I say…. it was just silly. There's no other word for it. I don't want to be mean, and who am I to judge, but the writing was not good. Compared to what I might normally read anyway. Too many exclamation marks in the text. Maybe I am just being a bit fussy but I think that exclamation marks should be confined to speech only, and even then they should be used sparingly if at all.

Obviously I have got a bit off track and that's because there's really nothing much to say about this. Why am I writing this then, I hear you ask? Because I feel like it at the moment and I think it only fair to people to warn people before they pick this book up that they should lower their expectations… very low.

To be fair, it was a good choice for the time at which I chose to read it. I was in the middle of a big criminal trial that was stressing me out and making me easily distracted, so this book didn't pose any kind of challenge to me.

This book is what it is, and that isn't very good.

I am not going to rate this book - I feel too "eh" about it to give it a rating.

Have you read this book or anything else by Matthew Reilly? I would be interested to know what you think of his books if you have.


Originally posted 23 April 2011 Page Turners 

No comments