My front garden ferns



One of our top garden beds at the front of the house is completely planted out with ferns.

I am not sure what kind of fern it is and if anyone can help me to identify them it would be very much appreciated it. I think that it is a sword fern.

My fern bed

In any event, it is a fern of some type and I must say that in this setting I am not a big fan of how it looks.

I am open to the idea of ferns. In fact, we have a garden out the back I like to call our shade garden. It has ferns growing in it and they look quite nice in that setting.

But all lined up like little soldiers that have completely taken over the garden bed? It’s not for me. I want something pretty at the front of our house. Some colour. Some nice flowers.

The ferns just look messy.

So at this stage, I think that if we have success with our other front garden bed in which we have planted azaleas, impatiens, agapanthus and native violets, then the ferns might have to go to be replaced by something prettier and more colourful.
  
What would you do?

I see the benefit of the ferns. This garden bed, unlike all of our other garden beds, hardly ever had any weeks growing in it. Presumably the sheer volume of ferns is keeping them at bay? That's what I guess anyway. So there is big benefit to the fern bed. No weeds, no weeding, low maintenance. 

Yet I still can't help but prefer the look of the beautiful colourful flowers. 

What would you do? Would keep the ferns and stick to colourful flowers in the other beds? Would you get rid of the colourful flowers in the other beds and plant ferns in them all? Would you pull all the ferns out and plant colourful flowers in that garden bed as well?

I'm just not sure.  

No comments