Part 1: What I thought I would miss



We've been here for two months now and my expectations and the reality of living in the suburbs are completely different!

I wrote the post below before we moved into Aidanvale. It's funny looking back on all the things that I thought I would miss once I had moved to my new house in the suburbs. It has inspired me to write the following two part series (how fancy does that sound!).

The first, of course, is this post: "What I thought I would miss".

The second will be: "What I actually miss".


*               *               *


This morning I walked around to my local cafe. They know me by name and know my order. On the way home I passed someone on the street and we said hello to each other.

Nothing special perhaps, but it got me thinking about all the things I am going to miss about living in Marrickville.

I'm going to miss the sense of community. Everyone says hello to each other and people like to make small talk with each other.

I'm going to miss all the parks. There are so many parks around me with such a variety of play equipment for Rafael and there are always lots of people at the parks regardless of what day of the week it is or what time I'm there. I have been to my new local park and it was...sad. There was no one there and the equipment was old and not very suitable for toddlers. There wasn't even a toddler swing. I hope I can find a better park within walking distance somewhere.

I am going to miss talking to other people at the park. When I take Rafael to the park now I almost always end up in conversation with several other mothers. When you're at home all day with a not-yet 2 year old, it's nice to make conversation with an adult and I think that it's made even more special that we can all talk easily to each other even having never met. 

I am going to miss how multicultural it is. The other day I was walking up Illawarra Road toward Marrickville road. Coming towards me was an elderly Vietnmese lady wearing traditional silk pyjamas and a non la or the Vietnamese conical leaf hat. Behind her came a woman, probably about the same age as me, wearing a hijab. On the other side of the road was a middle aged African lady wearing a traditional African outfit (sorry I don't know the name of it). The shops are all a mix of Greek and Vietnamese shops with the standard Video Ezy and Chemist Warehouse. I think that makes it a good place to raise children and to teach them to be accepting of everyone's background and heritage.

I am going to miss all the cafes. I know we don't tend to cafes much anymore now that Rafael is older, but still. It's nice to know that they are there when you need them. They offer a good variety of good quality food and they're all family friendly.

I am going to miss having everything I could possibly need in walking distance. I don't need to drive anywhere to get anything. Not even the groceries - I have woolworths almost directly across the street. Now I am going to have to drive to woolworths. Cue the violins.

I am going to miss the chips from the Yeeros shop. I know, that probably might seem like stretching it a bit to a lot people, but seriously, they are easily the best hot chips I have ever had and I doubt very much that I will find hot chips as good as these again.

Now I want Yeeros chips for dinner. Sigh.

Don't worry, there are things I am not going to miss as well and I will dedicate a post to that on another day. Right now I just want to ponder the good things about Marrickville.


No comments