Citrus infused vinegar

There is nothing revolutionary here - we all know that vinegar is the bees knees when it comes to natural house hold cleaning.

Vinegar cleans everything. Spotlessly. Naturally.

Normally I just use plain old vinegar but then I came across a wonderful idea; citrus infused vinegar.

I like to start every day with some freshly squeezed lemon juice in a glass of warm water. So I often have a lot of citrus peels that end up on their way to landfill (until we get our composting under way).

Citrus infused vinegar is a great way to get one more use of out citrus peels before they are disposed of (in whatever manner you might dispose of yours).


METHOD

  • Prepare the peelings by taking as much of the inner fruit off as you can
  • Place prepared peels in a glass jar
  • Bring vinegar to a simmer on the stove top
  • Poor the heated vinegar over the citrus peels in the jar and leave for about a day

OUTCOME

Lovely citrusy smelling vinegar!

I use lemon peel in mine because it is the most commonly used citrus fruit in our house. I have seen other people use orange peels and place fresh rosemary into the vinegar to steep as well. You can be as creative as you like.

USES

Whatever you use vinegar for you can use citrus infused vinegar.

I use it in my all-purpose cleaner, which is a spray I make to clean the kitchen, bathroom and mop the floors with.


No comments